Overpaying tax is a common issue for many UK PAYE employees, and it’s important to know your rights when it comes to claiming back the money you’re owed. In this article, we’ll explore the time limits for claiming back overpaid tax, ensuring you don’t miss out on potential refunds.
Time Limit for Income Tax Claims
For Income Tax, you generally have four years from the end of the tax year in which the overpayment occurred to make a claim.
|Tax Year||Deadline for Claiming|
|2017/2018||5 April 2022|
|2018/2019||5 April 2023|
|2019/2020||5 April 2024|
|2020/2021||5 April 2025|
|2021/2022||5 April 2026|
Understanding Tax Years
A tax year, also known as the fiscal year, is a 12-month period during which the government assesses and collects taxes. In the UK, the tax year for individuals runs from 6 April to 5 April of the following year. For example, the 2021/2022 tax year begins on 6 April 2021 and ends on 5 April 2022.
Reasons for Overpaying Income Tax
There are several reasons why you might overpay income tax, including:
- Incorrect tax code: If your tax code is incorrect, it could lead to you paying too much tax. It’s essential to understand your tax code and ensure it’s accurate.
- Emergency tax: If you start a new job without a P45 or P60, you may be placed on an emergency tax code, which often results in overpaid tax.
- Unclaimed work-related expenses: If you haven’t claimed tax relief on eligible work-related expenses, such as uniform laundry or professional fees, you may have overpaid tax.
Need help claiming back tax?
At Tax Rebates Limited, we specialise in helping UK PAYE employees claim back overpaid income tax on work-related expenses. Our services offer several benefits:
- Expertise & Experience: Our team has extensive knowledge and experience in handling tax rebate claims, ensuring you receive the maximum refund possible.
- No Rebate, No Fee: We operate on a ‘no rebate, no fee’ basis. If you don’t receive a refund, you won’t be charged. Our success fee is 25% plus VAT of the refund.
- Save Time & Effort: Navigating the tax rebate process can be time-consuming and complex. By working with Tax Rebates Limited, you can avoid potential pitfalls and enjoy a hassle-free experience.
If you believe you’ve overpaid income tax and need assistance with your claim, don’t hesitate to contact us for expert help.