Home » Tax Guides » Claiming Tax Relief on UNISON Fees

Claiming Tax Relief on UNISON Fees

Are you a UNISON member working in the healthcare sector? If so, you may now be eligible to claim tax relief on your UNISON subscription fees.

After a twelve-year campaign, UNISON secured tax relief for members working in specific healthcare sectors, levelling the playing field with members of organisations such as the Royal College of Nursing (RCN) and Royal College of Midwives (RCM), who already enjoyed tax relief on their subscriptions.

Eligibility for Tax Rebate on UNISON Fees

Unison is one of the UK’s largest unions, serving more than 1.3 million members. However, according to HMRC rules, only those working within certain healthcare sectors can claim tax relief on their fees.

Which jobs qualify for tax relief?

In the table below, we have listed the sectors which qualify for tax relief. Keep in mind that this is not an exhaustive list and that there may be other job titles within these sectors that qualify for tax relief.

To check your eligibility and proceed with claiming tax relief on your UNISON fees, visit our tax rebate calculator and enter your job title.

SectorExamples of Jobs within the Sector
Nursing sectorRegistered Nurses, Midwives, Health Visitors, Healthcare Assistants, Mental Health Nurses, School Nurses, Dental Nurses, Prison Nurses
Ambulance sectorParamedics, Emergency Medical Technicians, Ambulance Care Assistants, Emergency Call Handlers, Dispatchers
Voluntary sectorSocial Workers, Residential Care Workers, Rehabilitation Assistants, Community Support Workers, Mental Health Support Workers
Professional and Technical ‘A’Occupational Therapists, Dietitians, Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists, Radiographers
Professional and Technical ‘B’Operating Department Practitioners, Audiologists, Medical Illustrators, Dental Hygienists, Pharmacy Technicians, Laboratory Support Staff
Senior and General ManagerHeads of Services, Directors, Assistant Directors, Professional Managers, Organisers, Coordinators, Team Leaders

How Much Could I Get Back?

The amount you can claim back depends on your income tax rate and the annual cost of your UNISON subscription. For example, if you are a basic rate taxpayer (currently 20%), you can claim 20% of the annual cost of your subscription. If you pay a higher tax rate, you can claim back 40%.

Let’s assume your annual UNISON subscription fee is £150. If you are a basic rate taxpayer, you can claim back 20% of £150, which is £30. If you are a higher rate taxpayer (40%), you can claim back 40% of £150, which is £60.

Claim For The Last 4 Years

Remember that you can also claim tax relief for previous years if you have been a UNISON member and have not yet claimed tax relief on your fees. Make sure to submit your claim as soon as possible as there are time limits for claiming back tax.

Don’t Forget Other Allowances

In addition to tax relief on UNISON fees, healthcare professionals may also be eligible to claim other work-related tax allowances, including:

  1. Uniform Laundry Allowance: If you are required to wear a uniform and are responsible for laundering it yourself, you may be able to claim tax back for uniform laundry.
  2. Shoes and Stockings Allowance: Some healthcare professionals, such as nurses, are eligible to claim tax relief on the cost of purchasing specific shoes and stockings or tights required for their job.
  3. Mileage Allowance: If you use your personal vehicle for work purposes, you may be eligible for a tax-free mileage allowance to cover the cost of fuel and wear and tear on your vehicle. Make sure to keep accurate records of your work-related mileage to support your claim.
  4. Working from Home Allowance: If you are required to work from home due to your job demands or other circumstances, you may be able to claim tax relief for additional expenses you incur, such as heating and electricity costs.

How to Claim Tax Relief on UNISON Fees

Claiming tax relief on your UNISON fees and other allowances is a straightforward process. Visit our tax rebate calculator and enter your job title to check your eligibility for tax relief on UNISON fees. If you qualify, follow the steps provided to submit your claim.

Alternatively, you can contact HMRC directly to make your claim. Keep in mind that the forms provided on the Unison website are out of date due to recent changes in HMRC rules. Make sure to keep accurate records and receipts for any expenses you claim to support your submission.

About The Author