Frequently Asked Questions

General Questions

What are your fees?

It is completely free to submit a claim. You are not required to make any upfront payment or provide bank details.

If we are successful in recovering a refund for you, we will charge a fee of 25% (excluding VAT) of any refund we obtain for you. VAT is payable on the fee element only. Where the rebate does not cover our minimum fee of £35 plus VAT, there will be no additional charges to pay.

How long does the process take?

Most claims are completed within 6-12 weeks. During busy times or for more complex claims, it may take up to 16 weeks. If you have not heard back from HMRC after 16 weeks, we will recommend resubmitting your claim.

How many years can I claim back?

You can claim a tax rebate for the last 4 tax years. This means you can currently claim for jobs you have had since April 2015. There are strict deadlines by which you must submit your claim – see Time limits for claiming back overpaid tax

Can I claim for previous jobs?

Yes. You can claim for all jobs you have had since April 2010, even if you no longer work there

Will the rebate be recovered from my employer?

No. The rebate will be recovered from HMRC, as you are reclaiming overpaid tax you have personally paid through your wages. 

What documentation do I need to send?

All you need to send to us is your signed claim form, which we will email to you when you complete the online application form.

We will contact you if we need any further information. We do not always require your P45′s, P60′s etc.

For a uniform tax claim, you do not need proof of any expenditure incurred for washing your uniform. If you are claiming tax relief for professional fees, HMRC may require proof of actual amounts paid. For other expense claims (such as tools and equipment), please include a copy of the receipts/proof of purchase when sending in your claim form.

Do I need to claim every year?

Not usually. When you submit a claim with us, we will not only claim a rebate for prior years, but we’ll also apply to change your tax code to ensure that you receive the relevant tax reliefs directly in your pay. You will receive notification of your new tax code from HMRC.

If your circumstances change, or you have irregular expenses which you wish to claim for, it may be necessary to submit a claim periodically. If you think this applies to you, please contact us for advice.

Where can I find your Terms & Conditions?

Click here to view our Terms & Conditions.

Are you a government agency or affiliated with HMRC?

No. HMRC does not endorse or affiliate itself with ANY private company. We are a private firm who specialise in PAYE tax refund claims.